Sunday, February 6, 2011

Weapons of choice

Just finished shopping for my week of veganism!

So, of course, the question that vegetarians of all kinds have to face, where will I get my protein?


Dark leafy greens

A cup of cooked kale has 2g of protein, a cup of cooked spinach has 6! I usually eat salads out of inappropriately large serving vessels (mixing bowls, sauce pans...) so I expect to be getting a good amount of protein from good old greens.


Nuts/ seeds and Nut/ seed butters


I have a growing stash of nut butters (only the natural kind that separates! The other stuff is really just nut flavoured hydrogenated oil) and I throw handfuls of nuts or seeds into oatmeal and salads all the time


Grains





I'm obsessed with oatmeal, raw or cooked it's my go to breakfast. I'll probably be having quinoa, whole-grain pasta, barley, or brown rice at dinner.

Legumes



Chickpeas are one of my favourite foods. I'm also a big fan of lentils. Like nuts, they are usually added to one of my big salads. I could also eat hummus by the spoonful. Maybe I will.

Nutritional Yeast


I just recently tried nutritional yeast and I am obsessed! I think it tastes just like Kraft Dinner cheese powder and the nutritional stats are fantastic! 


More information is here


Tofu


Your classic hippie protein source. I love tofu. 

Sprouted-wheat bread


This is my favourite brand of bread and it has 5g of protein per slice.

Canada's Food Guide says that I should get around 48g of protein a day but I'm fairly active so I'll definitely be aiming for more.



Here goes nothing!


No comments:

Post a Comment